The jigging or vertical fishing is a sports modality promoted in Japan and Brazil for more than 15 years, and that has expanded to diverse territories by the great satisfaction that produces great pieces after a tirgosa struggle, creating a tendency significantly Popular in Spain, so today in Pescacosmar we will give basic notions to those who wish to venture into this discipline and a couple of tricks for those who want to have greater opportunities.
What Is Jigging?
The name of jigging comes from the use of lures type jig, the most suitable for fishing in depths as it seeks to tempt the prey by picking the lure from the depths to the surface, producing a unique swim and striking movements that imitate quite well The little fish that flee from danger.
Fishing from Grouper to Jigging
Where To Fish For Jigging?
Being a mode of depth jigging is practiced with greater success in areas that have had considerable modifications of the sea floor, ie places where there are sunken vessels, coral reefs, rocks, submarines, etc. Since it is in these places where active ecosystems are formed that attract all kinds of species.
To find out the location of these zones you can use marine probes or learn the route to sites that have already been found, are popular with fishermen or tourist boats.
But it is not enough just to know where they are, also to probe the depth and be prepared for the fight with large species that will have the advantage to greater depth, which can go from 30 meters to 250 meters.
Equipment for jigging
This type of fishing is very demanding, hence the need to acquire a fishing equipment of great quality, strength and power.
What Jigging Cane To Buy?
Jigging rods, unlike those of surfcasting, are not worth their length, in fact it is preferable to have a medium and resistant rod (1.80 meters long), taking care that the heel and the grip cover about 60 to 70 cm long. On the other hand the radius of action must be flexible to withstand the onslaught of the most powerful prey.Weight is also very important, although power is required, lightness plays a fundamental role if we do not want to overload the arms and shoulders of work, therefore it is better to opt for a cane that does not exceed 300 grams.
If you are still not sure which jigging rod to buy, check out here our selection of the best reeds for jigging.
Reels For Jigging
The power and comfort for graduating collection are indispensable in this mode, the best reels for jigging use fixed coil, since it requires that the response of the reel is fluid and will not deteriorate for the constant struggles, you will need to have at least 5 Bearings, and a coil with minimum capacity for 250 meters of line.It should also be very effective when picking up, preferably for each lap picking up almost one meter of line. Finally the brake must have great power and avoid skating the line.
Most used yarns in jigging
In this style there is no rival for twisted yarns, since monofilament could not withstand the ferocious bites of the most voracious species, and even if they resist, they can break easily during the struggle. Measures: 0,30mm. Up to 0.60 mm.
Choosing The Lure
To determine correctly what type of lure you should use you need to know other factors:
- The average weight of the species you intend to capture.
- The depths in which the prey is.
- The force of the current.
- Visibility under water.
- The food preferences of the species.
If you know the answer to these questions it will be very easy to find the right lures, since they present a great variety of models, sizes, weights, colors and forms of falling and swimming that are better adapted to certain conditions, Are used in deep water or when the current is very strong; While those who swim in zigzag or have striking colors, try to attract the most voracious and curious prey, If the species is reluctant and careful those who have a spiral swim, splash or have more real colors will be the most effective.
Tips For Jigging
- Getting used to the fishing zone and the underwater bottom: In addition to knowing if the zone is active, it is important that you know how to move in it, what is the depth, the species that are hovering and the food they find naturally, this is information and Vital experience to not waste time.
- First look for the easy: To avoid frustration try to capture the most curious and greedy prey in the area, it does not matter that they are not so great, nor present much struggle, if you are starting this will help you to gain experience with method and technique And to get to know the area better.
- Strengthen your arms and physical stamina: This is not a discipline for sloths, you will see that you need to be in good shape for the battles that are presented to you during the day. We recommend that you practice some warm-up and stretching before you start fishing, to avoid injury during the day.
- Do not always stay in the same place: Go try several points around the fishing area, especially if you have not caught anything for some time, but do the same if you start to destroy in the same area, we do not want to end the species of the Place or alter the marine ecosystem.
- Choose clear days and good weather: That the waters are tame and optimal visibility is essential in jigging, otherwise the day would be fruitless, because the fish would not see the decoy.
- Uses jigs of good quality: As well as recommend a good reed and reel for jigging, the same happens with lures, you can practice with cheap lures, but when it comes to getting serious, quality will be decisive if you want to get the attention of your prey And capture it successfully.
- Quickens the pace of collection progressively: Professional mention that collection technique makes the difference between an expert and a novice, not enough to always pick up the same speed, in the first sets the area is polled and collected more Slow, and when we find the key points, the collection becomes faster and more creative, following the scheme below:
Pirking or ultra slow collection.
Short and long pulls while slowly picking up.
Short pulls and medium collection.
Quick pickup with long and short pulls.
Aggressive picking with alternating pulls between slow and long.
If you know other tricks please leave them in the comments, we wish you the best of luck in your day of fishing to jigging!